Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In the morning through the window shade / When the light pressed up against your shoulder blade / I could see what you were reading

I seem to be approaching a crossroads.  It became apparent to me very suddenly while I was at home.  It's never easy to leave, but this time was especially hard.   The opening of Dante's Divine Comedy (Hollander's translation, in particular) comes to mind whenever I think about my current frame of mind: 

Midway in the journey of our life
I came to myself in a dark wood,
For the straight way was lost.

I'm working on finding my way, but I can't rush it.  I'm trying to be at peace with letting things fall into place, waiting for the thick forest mist to clear before I can spot an opening between the trees.  From there I'll find the path I need to take.  I'm antsy, but for now I just need to enjoy my juicebox.  

I turned off mobile updates for twitter.  I feel kinda overwhelmed by technology right now, especially since the Blackberry was forced into my life and has to be on me during business hours.  Don't get me wrong, it's so convenient and has helped get me out of many a jam, but when I'm not at work I usually make an effort to stay away from the digital world.  It bugs me when people violate smartphone etiquette (i.e. so addicted to blackberry/iphone/sidekick that they can't even put it away to enjoy a meal or have a conversation with a real human being) and I refuse to become one of them.  Aside from the value I place in good manners, my humble opinion is that people today don't have as many authentic experiences anymore; so much time and focus is frittered away on the internet and mobile devices.  I'm totally guilty of it sometimes, but I like to make changes when I realize that I might not be going outside as much and stuff.  It's also a geographical thing for me.  I'm definitely not as active here in Philly as I am at home in CO.  I know anything can happen anywhere, but I think part of it is that I feel safer in CO.  Of course, it's not smart to do things like go on long excursions alone in the wilderness, but at least in CO I'm not constantly looking over my shoulder for someone who might pull a gun on me or run a red light and hit me with their car whilst riding my bike (both have happened).

One of my dreams since I was a little kid was to write a book.  I used to write little novellas crafted from notebook-paper-pasted-on-folded-construction-paper with my trusty purple glue stick; the earnestly scrawled stories were usually of the paranormal or fantasy genre.  Imagine that.  Anyway, I've been thinking more and more about it, and have a notebook full of years' worth of material scribbled in it so I might start soonish.  Why wait on dreams?

Joe and I decided that we should translate 30 Rock to LOLspeak and make it a play:

Joh: Did you ever watch Season 2 of 30 Rock?
Me: Not yet.  Although I'm tired of waiting for Dante so I might just go ahead and read it.
watch*
lol
Joh: You should read it!
Perhaps even perform a play of it.
30 Rock - The one woman show. 
Starrying Sherri Long
with guest cats
Me: guest cats.  n tranzlaytid 2 LOLspeak
fur ur enjoimintz
Joh: zomy
Me: wutchu fink?
Joh: Sounds like a good idea. tracy jordan almost already LOLspeeks
Me: tappy dansin awn teh bubblrap
fur teh grand fanaleez
Joh: dat maeks kool noyses
Me: u maeks teh artz. theetr poestrs? pro...porgams?
Joh: I halp wif set desighn
maeks teh seenuree
Me: teh lufflee streats of teh big appl?
Joh: new yawk new yawk
Me: I fink weer awn 2 sumfing.
Joh: Firty Rawk Da Mewsikle in lolspeek

...so it's settled.  Apparently before I write my own book, I need to come up with a stirring rendition of 30 Rock for the stage.  Not for the faint of heart, but I think we can hack it.

Stay tuned for attempted translations of German into LOLspeak (LOLspeek owf Doitch).  Should be interesting considering German is already in LOLspeak to an extent, which Joe pointed out.  Anyway here's a sneak preview:  
Joh: Ish kann einen Cheezburgr?
Me: shmekt nom, urnst
Riveting, no?

Here's a pic from the wedding, where my dad is flanked by my brother and his best friend/former classmate Dewey (Duane).  My pride in them, their service, and just the image itself of my dad and Eric being in Mess Dress and fully decorated together for the first time makes my heart swell.




kthxbai, y'all.

0 comments: