Today's been really good (and sunny) so far.
I've been listening to the new Dave Matthews Band album "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King"...and I actually like it a lot. I guess I wasn't expecting too much as I haven't been a huge DMB fan since the late 1990s/early 2000s. I just stopped being "wowed" by the stuff they were producing, but this is fantastic. What's cool is that it's also a tribute to LeRoi Moore, their saxophonist and a founding member of the band who died last August, because "GrooGrux King" was his nickname.
That reminds me...I need a bike pump. This morning I went down to the basement to get my bike so I could ride it to the river and my tires were flat. Boo. I ended up driving down to Fairmount Park which was fine because I just parked on the other side of the woods so I could hike through them to the dragonboat regatta to benefit the Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society.
I hung out with Tom for a few hours and had a great time...he's 61 and a totally boss guy.
I mean, who else but an Irish gentleman would bring an icebox containing a Guinness (especially for me) to kick off the morning, but also a beer mug to pour it into because he firmly believes that "a lady should never drink Guinness out of a can." I felt pretty special...and classy :).
It was nice meeting his PVVMS buddies as well as some of the guys in his Irish-American Organization because both really mean a lot to him. I heard some stories from the vets that were not only interesting to hear, but also reminded me of how grateful I am for their service.
The hike back through the woods was wonderful...hikes in Fairmount Park are by no means comparable to hikes in Colorado, but it was amazing nonetheless. I took a few trails that obviously weren't well-traveled and saw some cool stuff. For example, every now and then you'll come across an old spring house that is still standing:
The woods soothe me...I don't care who you are; trees and plants (wilderness in general) are therapeutic and great for the soul. I'm glad I was in the woods alone (don't worry...I had my phone and beloved trusty knife) because this was an excellent sitting tree and I spent awhile here:
When I got home, I cleaned up some stuff, baked brownies, AND made a batch of yogurt (old school...in a pot!). I'm also bandage-free and will try getting back to yoga tomorrow. I've hated not being able to do it because my hand prevented me from doing most of the poses.
I just finished listening to the new DMB album for the second time and I don't just "like it a lot" it...I love it.
Ok...here's the song that just came up and a good road trip song if I may say so:
Ok...here's the song that just came up and a good road trip song if I may say so:
I really needed a day like today...I've struggled lately, which to my credit is understandable given what's been going on, but also feels strange for me as I'm naturally a positive (and I like to think tough) person. I've barely left the apartment (or yard) unless I absolutely have to in the past few weeks. I'm not used to floundering for so long at a time, but I'm coming out of my funk (thanks family and friends!) and once again feel equipped to deal with what comes my way. There are good things on the horizon...aaaand I'm orbalicious.
Oh and I can't forget...happy 25th Birthday, Tetris!

0 comments:
Post a Comment