Holler.
For the past week or so, it seems like every morning when I come to work there are 3 (+/- 1) equally urgent and often overdue disasters sitting on my desk, in my email, or a frantic voicemail telling me about something needing to be resolved. Why would you say you can complete a task, then wait for it to be overdue to ask someone else for help or better yet, pass it off completely? Rawr. The job always gets done, but disasters make for interesting days that at least go by quickly. Yesterday I wanted to beat myself over the head with my keyboard but today has been pretty productive, so I guess we're moving onward and upward.
Last night's game was really fun even though we lost. Every time I play I feel like a bit more rust gets scrubbed off and I get faster and stronger. It started out being fun when the first song of the warmup was Poker Face (of Kim's choosing). I gave Kim the Lady Gaga album last week so now she regularly comes into my office and serenades me. In fact, I feel extra special as the song of the day is "Lovegame" and she's come in to profess to me about 4 times: "Let's have some fun, this beat is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." Oooh la la! It's funny and comic relief is always welcome.
We played a U19 team last night...I think it may have been Tier I. A lot of the women on my team got pissed off at the aggression and general immaturity of the girls we played. To the point where if two people ran into each other and it was my teammate that fell over, she would come to the bench complaining about the girls being "too rough" and "barbaric." What?! Come on, people. I know women's hockey is no checking, but...it's still hockey, which is by definition a contact sport. And you're wearing what practically equates to your body weight in padding. You're going to run into someone at some point. Whatever. I got punched in the back of the head once and was deemed a "fucking bitch" by at least four of the girls, but I remember what it was like to be a U19. Basically, hockey is life and for most of them, their college tuition rests in their skates and to play in a Division I club on scholarship, you have to show that kind of tenacity. I never did anything as cheap as punching anyone in the back of the head, but my teammates did, and I definitely was way more hot-headed and outspoken on the ice than I am now. It's amazing how much a person can chill out in 6 years. I have good memories, but man am I glad those cut-throat hockey days are over.
I went to yoga on Sunday and definitely pulled my ass (ahem...gluteus maximus). It was a really difficult practice; probably the best, most challenging one I've had outside of Bikram. That doesn't make it any easier to sit though...know any stellar butt-masseuses?
Tidbit of information for you courtesy of 140pedia:
"Band-aid (Paradox): Fixes all childhood ills from gushing blood to tiny scrape until time for removal, at which time it morphs into torture device."
Last night's game was really fun even though we lost. Every time I play I feel like a bit more rust gets scrubbed off and I get faster and stronger. It started out being fun when the first song of the warmup was Poker Face (of Kim's choosing). I gave Kim the Lady Gaga album last week so now she regularly comes into my office and serenades me. In fact, I feel extra special as the song of the day is "Lovegame" and she's come in to profess to me about 4 times: "Let's have some fun, this beat is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." Oooh la la! It's funny and comic relief is always welcome.
We played a U19 team last night...I think it may have been Tier I. A lot of the women on my team got pissed off at the aggression and general immaturity of the girls we played. To the point where if two people ran into each other and it was my teammate that fell over, she would come to the bench complaining about the girls being "too rough" and "barbaric." What?! Come on, people. I know women's hockey is no checking, but...it's still hockey, which is by definition a contact sport. And you're wearing what practically equates to your body weight in padding. You're going to run into someone at some point. Whatever. I got punched in the back of the head once and was deemed a "fucking bitch" by at least four of the girls, but I remember what it was like to be a U19. Basically, hockey is life and for most of them, their college tuition rests in their skates and to play in a Division I club on scholarship, you have to show that kind of tenacity. I never did anything as cheap as punching anyone in the back of the head, but my teammates did, and I definitely was way more hot-headed and outspoken on the ice than I am now. It's amazing how much a person can chill out in 6 years. I have good memories, but man am I glad those cut-throat hockey days are over.
I went to yoga on Sunday and definitely pulled my ass (ahem...gluteus maximus). It was a really difficult practice; probably the best, most challenging one I've had outside of Bikram. That doesn't make it any easier to sit though...know any stellar butt-masseuses?
Tidbit of information for you courtesy of 140pedia:
"Band-aid (Paradox): Fixes all childhood ills from gushing blood to tiny scrape until time for removal, at which time it morphs into torture device."
Thanks, Mom/Persian heritage, for giving me really hairy arms! I can attest to the use of band-aids as torture devices. However, I can also attest to the fact that band-aids have secret magical healing powers...especially when they're colorful.
I really like today's Rule for My Unborn Son:
I really like today's Rule for My Unborn Son:
373. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
There's an orange on my desk staring me down...no doubt mocking me for wanting it so badly yet not being able to peel it without mangling it. Hmpf. I despise arrogant fruit. Maybe Kim will peel it for me but I'll have to ask later because she looks stressed.
There's an orange on my desk staring me down...no doubt mocking me for wanting it so badly yet not being able to peel it without mangling it. Hmpf. I despise arrogant fruit. Maybe Kim will peel it for me but I'll have to ask later because she looks stressed.
I have no idea how this entry got to be so long. I have a meeting in approximately one minute, so peace out.

0 comments:
Post a Comment