Ok, so I rarely bitch about people like I'm about to do, but friggin N is driving me up the wall and I need to vent.
First thing this morning, I followed accounting protocol and asked him to run a report for me by 11:30 that I can't run for myself because I'm not supposed to access all the finance information. He agreed rather pleasantly and then three hours later (it's 11:31) sauntered into my office to jokingly complain to me about how demanding I am in asking him to run a report I could theoretically do in 5 minutes.
I gently jobbed him back: "I'd be more than happy to not have to rely on you to do my work, and maybe you should take the issue of my limited access to accounting up with the CFO. OH, and if it only takes 5 minutes in the first place, why wasn't it done in the past two hours and why are you shooting the shit instead of running the report?" Instead of addressing that at all, he gets comfortable in my doorway, flips my lights on (urgh), and starts asking me about my weekend. Um, that's a question for Monday morning, N, and not when I have an imminent deadline for which you have to produce something tiny but crucial.
Then he proceeded to make fun of me for being female. Yes...you read right. Female. Because I was born with two X chromosomes. That's like criticizing someone for his shoe size, being left-handed, or natural hair color. Speaking of shoes...he looked at my feet, mentioned that my shoes "look expensive" (?!) and started trying to guess how many pairs of shoes I have and how much I spend on shoes per month because "all you women have some serious shoe shopping problems." Wtf does that even mean?
By the way, this report is due to the insurance company at noon so a guy out on Workers' Comp who is a single dad to two small kids can have at least some income while his broken foot heals and he can't weld. What kills me is that N knows all of this. I realize I'm lucky enough to have a nice job with a salary where I could work from home if I needed to, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what happens when someone who is paid hourly for manual labor is unable to work for weeks. No hours = no money. I've only had a "real job" for two years, and N has for about 10. Why do I - the rookie in this company no less - understand this and he doesn't? Hot damn.
Since I deal with the shop guys on a daily basis, I originally was supposed to have an office located right in the main shop so the guys can come see me whenever they need to. It's nice having a window and all, but at this moment, I wish more than ever that I worked in that cinderblock room where at least I'd be around people who don't ride around on a high horse all day, loiter in doorways like a creeper, and actually have a clue about what the hell is going on. This is a steel fabrication company; it wouldn't even exist without welders.
Ok, I feel better. Other than the fact that I just saw N walk by to go to lunch without giving me my data (rawr). Maybe this is stupid of me, but...I'm waiting for IT to get down here so they can override the security settings and let me run the damn report myself because I don't care - I'll gladly take the heat for it - that info is going out TODAY or broken foot guy doesn't get paid for potentially another two weeks.
That said, I may or may not have already gotten in big trouble by the time I post my next entry on here. If you think of it, please say a quick prayer for me.
I just saw a mouse in my office. What should I name it?

0 comments:
Post a Comment