It's that time again. I have mixed feelings about this holiday. I like to make lists to remind myself of things of which I should be aware and I get excited for a "fresh start" as much as the next person, but I don't understand why many people wait until the 365th (or 366th) day of the year to set goals and work on improving themselves. Oh well. On that note, I love new planners/calendars and am excited to open mine!
Resolutions:
- Manage my time better and procrastinate less - this includes not being late anymore.
- Be gentler with myself. I get really angry with myself sometimes, and more often than not, there's no call for me to beat myself up about anything or the issue is something small.
- Be present.
- Keep in touch with people I care about - reach out more in general. Snail mail is one of my favorite things, but I have to send it to receive it. It would also help to find more people who are as fascinated with snail mail as I am. Remember pen pals? There's a certain appeal to communicating with a stranger. I think I might look into getting one: http://www.friendship-by-mail.com/
- Spend less of my free time on the computer. It's brainwashing, induces depression, and I firmly believe that dependence on technology has has become, if not a substitution, a crutch for human interaction and authentic experiences.
- I want to take more pictures (with my new camera!).
Joint Resolutions (with Dante):
- Start to plan meals for the week and shop accordingly.
- Cook more. When we feel tired after work/school, we veg and end up eating something that is unbalanced, or just straight-up junk.
- Go for a walk outside every day (thanks Ada). Encourage each other to exercise more.
- Go DO things.
Now for my Inverse Resolutions:
- I WON'T lose my sense of wonder. I love to love, and will do whatever I can to shield myself from the world-weariness that is all too abundant in our society.
- I WON'T retreat back into the shell I built for myself in college. I can be pretty cool and fun, but I have to continue to shake off the anxiety I sometimes feel when entering social situations.
- I WON'T stop standing up for myself if I am wronged. Recently, I experienced for the first time at my job someone of consequence try to push me around and take advantage of me. I didn't run away from the problem, but rather faced it and dealt with it maturely (thanks to lots of advice and encouragement). The end result was that I not only ended up in better overall shape at work than I started, but more importantly, I grew and became more confident in my ability to take care of and handle myself. Rawk.
- I WON'T let myself go, health-wise. I'm going on 16 months without a major flare, and I plan to do whatever it takes to continue this streak indefinitely!
The dictionary.com word of the day is "ultimate." Errnh? I can't say that I feel enlightened, but I do believe that from time to time, it's very important to re-examine the things we use without a second thought in day-to-day interactions. Words like "ultimate" "love" and "hate" are very powerful, but tend to get thrown around which invariably weakens and cheapens them. Now that I think of it..."ultimate" is a fine word for the day.
I just realized I forgot to buy champagne.
Have a safe and happy New Year!

0 comments:
Post a Comment