A Christmas candle is a lovely thing;
It makes no noise at all,
But softly gives itself away;
While quite unselfish, it grows small.
-Eva K. Logue
I'm sitting here drinking gluhwein with my sister (she claims to be grinchy but she's really a dearheart) and feeling very relaxed and peaceful, aside from not liking the fact that Dante is in Philly alone. Sometimes - rarely - my thoughts are bare-boned, like now. There's really not a whole lot on my mind, and certainly nothing complicated; I'm just comfortable.
Our tree is wonderful. Earlier, I stretched out on my back underneath it and looked up through the branches at the lights and the assortment of ornaments, and felt warm all over. I love home so much...I hung out with many of my closest high school friends the other night, and it's so refreshing to know that after months (in some cases, years!) of not being in touch, when we get together it's just as if we had never been apart. No hesitation, awkwardness or anything...we just fall back into sync.
I feel as though this year I didn't have time to prepare for or get into the spirit of Christmas. Thinking about this makes me a little bit sad because Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year and I start marinating in the spirit around Thanksgiving (or prior, if I can't resist). I guess I shouldn't feel sad, because Christmas is far from over (we're only a few hours in!) so there's plenty of time for me to settle into the joyful spirit, right?
There is much to be grateful for.
I think I'm going to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and go to Sleep. Unless Sleep insists I see to it first.
And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?Merry Christmas and goodnight!
-Dr. Seuss

0 comments:
Post a Comment