Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Endorphins

Dante and I joined a gym Sunday night and made a pact to work out at least 4-5 times per week.  I am so excited.  After we got the grand tour - the facility is very nice, new and loaded - and got our membership cards, we worked out.  Dante did a full lift circuit with free weights, but I went pretty easy...I ran for a mile on the elliptical to warm up, stretched, did an upper body circuit on machines, then stretched, then abs, then stretched.  I know...I stretch a lot, but it does a body good, srsly!  Tonight I will do legs and cardio and really just look forward to getting back into a routine.  I figure only doing one half of my body per day will force me to go back almost every day so I can lift each muscle group once per approximately 48 hours.  Last night - alas - I didn't lift because after necessary errands, we didn't arrive at the gym until around 10:15 pm.  All I did was warm up for 15 minutes on the elliptical, stretched, then got back on for 30 minutes with high resistance, going forward for 3 minutes and backwards for 1.  THEN (after stretching) we lounged in the hot tub and took a dip in the pool.  Gooood times.

I'm sure your life is infinitely more enriched now that you have details of my recent workouts.

There have to be a slew of people who have this tendency as well, but the problem both Dante and I have is that we absolutely love to work out and be in shape and play sports and stuff, BUT since we both grew up playing team sports, we've never really been held accountable for working out independently.  Therefore, even though we have great workouts once we're physically at the facility, we lack the motivation to actually mobilize and get there.  Hence the reason we made a pact: we have to make each other go or else it simply won't happen.

I've been pretty "blah" lately; I'm convinced it's partially because this is the longest I've ever gone not having a real, well-rounded exercise routine.  I know for a fact that this will get me back into my regular good spirits.  As Elle Woods would say: "Exercise gives you endorphins--endorphins make people happy and happy people just don't shoot their husbands... they just don't."  Dante and I are not married, but we do cohabitate, so...MY exercising may just add years to HIS life as well.  Hehe.

In other (admittedly bland) news, I got a swimsuit without feeling depressed after leaving the fitting room, a combination lock for my gym locker AND...a new Nalgene bottle.  It's been a long time since I've gotten a new one, but this particular one is Bisphenol-A (BPA) free.  I'm not overly paranoid and am certainly not a hypochondriac, but I like to be proactive in reducing the potential for additional health problems especially since I may be more susceptible to more profound effects than a person who does not have several autoimmune diseases.  Even though
 the toxicity of the levels of BPA leeched by the old Nalgene bottles is debated, getting a new Nalgene bottle is simple to do, so why not just take the precaution?

In conclusion, this was one of last Sunday's Secrets, and I feel like it spoke to me:


Aaaaand I'm off.  kthxbai!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian and I just joined a gym too! And we are the same way -- we have to bug each other to actually go. But they have a huge slide in the pool area, so that's extra incentive!!!

love yooooooooooou!