Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget

September 11 is always a day of reflection for me.





I like to take a moment to say a prayer and remember not only the tragic events and the lives lost on September 11, 2001, but also the way in which the tragedy brought all Americans together and reminded us that no matter what, "despite our differences, much more unites us than divides us."

I ran a search for 9/11 quotes, and this exerpt was short and sweet, objective, and perfectly articulates what I keep in mind today (I promise I didn't pick it because of who/what party said it!):

Remember how we felt when the serenity of a bright September morning was destroyed by a savage atrocity so hostile to all human virtue we could scarcely imagine any human being capable of it.

We were united. First, in sorrow and anger. Then in recognition we were attacked not for a wrong we had done, but for who we are a people united in a kinship of ideals, committed to the notion that the people are sovereign, not governments, not armies, not a pitiless, inhumane theocracy, not kings, mullahs or tyrants, but the people.

In that moment, we were not different races.

We were not poor or rich. We were not Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative. We were not two countries.

We were Americans.

- Sen. John McCain, August 30, 2004


Never forget September 11, 2001. 

0 comments: