Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On hidden treasures

I recently engaged in a debate regarding the difference between naivete and possessing a sense of wonder.  I firmly maintained that finding beauty and amazement around us, even in everyday occurrences, and realizing that miracles do happen (though sometimes you have to look for them) are good for the soul and make life not only more enjoyable but more balanced as well.  My opponent interjected that "that's childish and simplistic" and I conceded that it could be, if the person in question is not a realist.  I also agreed with him that sadly, most people outgrow the stark appreciation or take for granted the beauty in the common (and uncommon) things.  It's key to protect this appreciation rather than discard it as we mature, as it is helpful in dealing with the shittiness to which we are increasingly exposed as we grow.  At my unwavering belief that there are still wonderful mysteries left in the world, some will be unearthed over time, and some will (and should) remain hidden, my opponent chuckled gently, which was maddening.  I'd rather get a stiff middle finger any day than a patronizing dismissal.  This individual even had the balls to suggest that technology will eventually be so advanced that nothing could possibly stay hidden or continue to baffle experts.  Don't even get me started on that piece.


The way I see it, if one were to strip away the details of our debate, what it came down to was my arguing in favor of duality, and his arguing against it.  I won't expand on that as my last paragraph is pretty self explanatory, in a rambling, feathers-ruffled sort of way. 

Checking out the news this morning and coming upon the article below made me simultaneously recall the debate, do a triumphant mental fist pump, and marvel.  For all you skeptics: I bring you news of something beautiful and rare found in a very common place - proof, if you will.

Error: Embedded data could not be displayed.

:)

So there.

With that, I hope you have a splendid day and see (and acknowledge)  something spectacular.  Here's to pink dolphins, angel hair, and Atlantis. 

0 comments: