As much as I bitch about it sometimes, I really like Philadelphia. I guess I could say that I have a love/hate relationship with the city (mostly love!) but even some of the things that used to drive me nuts have developed a sort of endearing quality. For example, often now when I see a ridiculous situation, rather than getting put off, I kinda shake my head, smile a little, and think to myself, "only in Philly..." The city has so much to offer, holds so many memories as as well as the makings of new memories, and being away from it for two months has made me realize how much I miss it. Not to mention certain people there who are very important to me. I'm headed back in a little over a week, and it's just now hitting me as I'm making preparations to go. I'm actually (dare I say it?) excited. Autumn is rapidly approaching. It's my favorite time of year back East. I have big plans to participate in as many fall activities as possible. After the weather gets a little too bitter (cold + humidity = no bueno) to spend as much time outdoors, Thanksgiving will be here. Then comes Christmas. And all of the associated fun. There's much to look forward to.
The library is a safe place for me. At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, to me, libraries hold the same sort of sacred quality that churches do. In fact, public libraries are open and appeal to a much wider audience - people from all walks of life, religion, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, blah blah blah - everyone is welcome at the library! Patronage is even encouraged, especially given the dismal state of literacy in this country. It's free, uncensored (to an extent - excluding explicit material) in that no particular genre/topic/belief is forced upon the reader but rather he may choose for himself what he wants to experience, and many even offer programs and events for children and adults, ranging from learn to read, to book clubs, all the way up to festivals. Before I got my job, I would go to the library on Mondays and Fridays to play Scrabble with "old folks," and seeing these peoples' lives at times drastically improved by the library never once failed to amaze me. The library provides a priceless service to the community simply by unlocking its doors every morning...who knew a room full of books, a board game and a handful of retirees could give me so much perspective and appreciation?
Right now, just sitting here in the East Branch of the Pikes Peak Library is therapeutic for me. The internet is great, I doubt I could function properly without it now, and any information imagineable is accessible nearly instantly with a few keystrokes (unless you live in the stone ages and still have dial-up...sheesh), but to be completely surrounded by books is straight-up humbling. It gives me a tiny glimpse into the vast amount of knowledge out there I have yet to tap into, or even fathom; there's so much I want to know and learn. Good think I'm young and have lots of time left!
I got the knitting bug again, no doubt inspired by the coming of fall. I'm working on a hat right now...here's what I have so far:

If I had to identify a personal style, I guess I would say that I like simple things with a little bit of interesting detail thrown in. The hat will be a plain green beanie (assuming I get it right) but I am nothing short of absolutely
delighted by the little flap and wooden buttons. They serve no function other than to be adorable, and I'm pleased with the result.
Well, the library is closing, so I'll be on my way.
0 comments:
Post a Comment