Monday, April 6, 2009

hark! i bring you good tidings of a holiday weekend

I just found out that Good Friday is a holiday for us...I HAVE A THREE DAY WEEKEND!


The past weekend was nuts.  I'm gonna go ahead and count Thursday as a weekend day, per the college philosophy: the "weekend starts on Thursday!"  Thursday I played my first real scrimmage with refs and everything for the first time in 6.5 years.  What a rush.  I did way better than I thought and I was surprised to find that knowing what I was supposed to do was still second nature; my main problem was that my body would take awhile to react to what my brain was telling it to do.  I had a great time playing with the handful of my ladies who showed up, and met a few really cool women from other leagues who actually invited me to play in their 4v4 summer league (which made me feel good!).  Friday, I led a practice for spring league as a player/coach - teaching the drills then jumping in as a regular player - and we scrimmaged at the end.  Again, I exceeded my own expectations.  Yesterday, the same thing.  I feel sorta bad because I begged the league to let me play at the beginner level because I thought I'd basically have to relearn the game after not playing for so long, but now I realize that I really belong with the more advanced skaters.  Why did I lack so much confidence in myself?  My skills are intact, I'm just going to have to take some steel wool, silver polish, and a lot of TLC to them.  Soooo yeah.  That was the hockey portion of the weekend.

Saturday I brunched with Christine and her crew...met a couple really cool people and generally chilled over a scrumptulescent breakfast and a bottomless cuppa joe.  Then I went to the gym to be personally trained...my abs still hurt.  Not just regular I-haven't-worked-out-in-awhile sore either...I feel like I got pummeled in the gut and when I look down I expect to see a bruise.  To my surprise, I like that feeling in a sick sort of way, because I know I've officially embarked upon the road to getting back in shape.  Sunday, I went to yoga before hockey to try to loosen myself up a bit, and the class was actually a really good one.  It was more advanced that I thought it would be, because I've been doing yoga for long enough that if I'm going to be doing sun salutations for an hour, I might as well do it at home.  We worked on a few poses that are awesome, but not safe to try on your own without getting an instructor's guidance first, like shoulder stands and intense backbends/inverted poses.

Last night Dante and I went to the Trolley Car Diner and spent a whopping $7.95 on a nice dinner, thanks to the sizeable gift certificate we earned last Sunday after winning Trivia Night.  I just got an email from the TCD...and we won again last night.  Looks like my edumakashun is paying off.

I'm bummed because my computer is very sick.  Maybe even terminally sick.  I came home on Friday, and the screen was black other than the words "Operating system not found" in the upper right hand corner.  I don't understand...I take really good care of my computer and stuff in general, yet I seem to have a knack for killing computers in record time.  Of course, without fail, the problems first start to occur about a month after the warranty expires.  I have close working relationships with a few people at work, two of whom happen to make up the entire IT department.  Trav and Ant are going to check out my computer and if needed, give me a new hard drive.  But keep that on the DL, k?  I might also get a blackberry, which would be pretty cool I guess.  There are definitely pros and cons of having a work blackberry, the biggest con being that when I go home at the end of the day, I still have a live link to work.

For months I've been exhausted and "blah" but getting back into a fairly hard core exercise routine really turned things around.  Since Thursday night, I've gotten incredibly restful sleep.  I don't remember the last time I woke up feeling fresh and ready to face the day 4 mornings in a row.  I didn't even hit "snooze" this morning!  For once, I don't peel myself out of my bed looking like Lewis here:


Thanks for the demo, Lewis.  Fingers are crossed that this will remain a pattern and that Lewis gets into an exercise routine too, so he doesn't have to be tired while he disapproves.  Hasta la pasta.

0 comments: