Friday, May 21, 2010

Five Senses Friday and some happymaking tangents

Seeing:
The massive pile of papers on my desk slowly but surely dwindling. And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

Tasting:
Not much (refer to my "Smelling" section), but my Super Irish Breakfast Black Tea (with milk and sugar!) is strong enough to taste and enjoy...loves it!

Hearing:
"Seeing Other People" by Belle and Sebastian.

By the way, I just awarded myself some cool points. Grooveshark messed up the code to embed the widget...and I fixed it. The mistakes weren't even that obvious...squee! Interestingly, I just discussed HTML with TJ last night and how, even though it's not difficult, I felt totally kickass anyway when I excelled in my after-school HTML class in 6th grade. Okay, um...now you may politely applaud me and pretend to be impressed. Ready, go.

Smelling:
Nothing at all, which is disconcerting for me given my keen sense of smell. My nasal cavities and mucus membranes are pissed and straight-up revolting following a week full of tears, anxiety, and pain. Wow, that sounded really emo...but srsly. I don't cry very often, but man, I was a soggy mess this week and probably met my sob quota for the year. So now, I'm congested and my upper respiratory system is raw and inflamed. Meck, meck, meck. Things are turning around though, and I'm happy with the direction in which they're going!

Feeling:
My hand wrapped around my recycled glass mug; its balance and weight are perfect, the handle comfortably accommodates three fingers, and there's a slight sea green tint to it. True to my affinity for minimalism with a splash of interesting detail, there is a raised round seal on the side of the otherwise simple glass that reads "Authentic Recycled Glass." So cool.

In other news, I'm interested in something I read about today called "Kindness Revolution." Basically, the premise is to anonymously spread small, gentle reminders that kindness works best when paid forward. A little card is left at the scene of a random act of kindness (you can either observe or perform the act), that reads something like "Do something kind and leave this card behind - keep the ripple going!" Some company in Australia is distributing decks of these cards for free...obviously since I'm not Down Under, I was thinking about making some. Some folks may think it's silly, but I know for a fact that if I came upon a Kindness Revolution card unexpectedly, left in a public place by some anonymous do-gooder, I would be thrilled and most importantly - inspired.

Lastly, I found this on one of my favorite photoblogs, awesomespaces:


I'm almost certain that this house's gorgeous, unruly adornments are lilacs. Some of my earliest, happiest childhood memories have lilacs in the periphery, which to this day are sometimes triggered by the intoxicating scent of the blooms. I would be so happy to have some growing in my yard when I have a home of my own...that would just be tops. Even though my parents don't read my inclinations (thanks for keeping my secret despite Mom's best efforts, mah deer lufflee seestrkitteh Ada <3 ), I'd like to give them a shout out and a thank you for giving me such a brilliant childhood. I often reflect on how incredibly lucky I have been throughout my life.

Okaaay...break's over. Back to work.

2 comments:

Kate said...

The lilacs are blooming all over here. Trees too. You'll see some next week!

Sherri said...

Do you have lilacs?! I'm coming over.

Well...I'm coming over anyway. Get ready to be skvished. SKVISHED LIEK GRAEP.